Welcome from the Wardens

Tom Lywood (Church Warden), Lance Ogden (Church Warden)

St. Mary the Virgin, Goldsborough

Tom and Lance look forward to meeting you in our beautiful and historic Grade 1 listed Church set in the Domesday Listed village of Goldsborough. You can be assured of a very warm and friendly welcome whether visiting the Church to enjoy the monuments, effigies and memorial sculptures or to join us in our Church Services.

Two effigies feature Sir Richard de Goldesburgh 1V c1300 and his son Sir Richard de Goldesburgh V c1330 and the ‘Byerley Memorial’ sculptured by Joseph Wilton, stone mason to King George 111 and founder of the Royal Academy  in 1769.

We have a Ring of Three Bells, the oldest dated 1380 and it’s two ‘cousins dated from 1407. The bells are rung regularly for services and weddings.

Through our organist and Choir Mistress we have an excellent reputation for Church Music and Choral Singing supported by a well-attended and enthusiastic Choir of all ages.


Our Church organ is of special interest, built by William Hill in 1855, it is one of only two remaining with wooden pipes.

Goldsborough is a very vibrant village with a popular and well attended Church of England School. The school regularly hold school services at St Mary’s with many of the pupils attending our monthly Sunday School. The Sunday School meets on the 1st Sunday of the Month at 10.30 hours.

Our active Mothers’ Union meets monthly in the Church with interesting speakers and activities.

Our services are held each Sunday at 09.00 hours and rotate as follows.

 

1st Sunday of the month:    Book of Common Prayer Eucharist  
2nd Sunday of the month: 

All Age Family Worship with Communion.   

At this service the Sunday School take over the
Wardens’ and Readers’ duties.

3rd & 4th Sunday of the month: Holy Communion Service
5th Sunday of the month: 

Holy Communion with guest charity speaker

 

        

We have a very strong and supportive District Church Council and together we hope that within the next 3 years St Mary’s will be the focal point of the village and surrounding communities with an enthusiastic congregation filling the Church every Sunday.

Together we hope to find new ways for the village to make full use of the Church Buidling and not just on Sundays and High Days.

St Mary’s is normally open every day during the months of July and August each year.