A Royal Connection

A Royal Connection
 
 
The village of Goldsborough, near Knaresborough, North Yorkshire is recorded in the Domesday Book and is privileged in possessing a church which is not only beautiful but full of historic and architectural interest. The church of St Mary the Virgin has links to the Royal Family, brief details of which follow:
 
In 1756 the Goldsborough Estate was sold to Daniel Lascelles and after his death in 1785 it devolved to his brother Edwin, Lord Harewood. The estate remained within the family for almost 200 years.
 
On the 18th February 1922, Viscount Henry Lascelles, heir to the 5th Earl of Harewood, married Princess Mary, the only daughter of King George V and Queen Mary and made their home at Goldsborough Hall. Both of their sons were baptised in the Church of St Mary the Virgin. On the 25th March 1923 King George and Queen Mary attended the baptism of their first grandson, George Henry Hubert Lascelles who became the 7th Earl of Harewood and first cousin to Queen Elizabeth II. The royal Christening was presided over by Cosmo Lang, then Archbishop of York. Queen Mary chose one of the hymns at the service "Loving Shepherd of Thy sheep, keep Thy lambs, in safety keep" .
 
Until becoming the Princess Royal in 1932, 'H.R.H. Princess Mary Viscountess Lascelles ' was her title. Viscount Lascelles and the Princess moved to Harewood House in 1930 following the death of the 5th Earl of Harewood. The Goldsborough Estate was subsequently sold in 1952 to help to pay death duties following the death of the 6th Earl and thus ending nearly a thousand years of estate ownership.
 
Graham Shaw